Bob Scherago: Delighted in breaking up the unbreakable, and he usually won. He could see the humor in what was serious business to those in front of the microphone. Once the personality saw the humor that Bob pointed out, that was all it took to preserve another moment for the WTIC blooper tape.

Here are some Robert E. Smith stories:

  I think it was Floyd's 25th anniversary party at the Wethersfield Country Club. Since I lived in Bloomfield (near Robert E.) andBob Schereago Wayne Mulligan lived close by in Windsor, Robert E. suggested we meet at his house for drinks, then he'd drive to the party. Wayne drove to my house, and we went to "Woodwind Hollow" in my car.
  Robert E. was an excellent host; we sat on his porch surrounded by woods and his statuary collection. Our host and teacher went into the kitchen and prepared three memorable Martinis, Wayne's and my first ever. We enjoyed them, then Bob said it was time to go.
  When we got to the country club, Robert E. disappeared, only to return with more Martinis for the three of us. Wayne and Iooked at each other and decided we had to be gratious. We downed the drinks. We confided to each other that we were getting somewhat tipsy, but we'd have to reciprocate.
  Unfortunately, a few minutes later our enabler disappeared, returning again with three more glasses of the nectar of the gods.
  Neither Wayne nor I would have been able to drive home - Bob must have been immune to the effects of the alcohol, but he drove us both home. We seem to remember that we had a good time, but can't remember a thing about the party except for the drinks.
  Another warm memory about Bob is a baby-sitting story. Marcia and I were talking with him one night about getting reliable baby sitters. He told us he'd love to take care of our two boys. He insisted, and we took him up on it, although we imagined coming home to see him tied to a chair and the boys doing a dance around him. Instead, he was sitting on the couch, the boys on either side of him, enthralled by the book he was reading to them.
  But the kicker was when Steven, our older son, asked, "Mr. Smith, do you have any children?"
  Bob answered, as only he could, "None to speak of!"
  But those who know me know that I have a mean streak when it comes to on-air personalities. Robert E. had been in radio for forever and a half, but hadn't a clue how any of it worked. One day I was in the control room recording "Your Box at the Opera." As you may remember, Bob selected 78's from his vast personal collection for the show, and was very protective of them.
  He was in the studio as a record was playing, and I picked up what he  thought was one of his records (actually it was an old cracked 78 that I found in the trash) and threw it across the control room. At the same time I played a sound effect of glass breaking. After I scraped him off the ceiling, he admitted it was funny.
  I remember when WTIC-FM dropped its classical format and his show was broadcast on the University of Hartford station Bob had to go to their studios to have the program recorded. He was upset that the college students assigned to operate the equipment hadn't a clue as to what to do or how to do it. Sometimes they didn't even show up. Eventually Ross Miller asked me to go to their studios and record the show for him. That lasted until he was too ill to continue, then I edited old tapes and delivered them to the station.
  It was a rather sad ending for a man whose long career touched many lives. Robert E. Smith was a good friend, and I still miss him.

Here's a selection of memories.

  Sunday mornings at TIC were long and boring, so it was necessary to come up with ideas to amuse ourselves during the "transcribed" religious shows. Every once in a while Ray Rice and I would record a parody of Hymn Time; I'd set up Studio 1, roll a tape, then go into the studio and play hymns on the old Hammond organ  while Ray faked sermonettes!
    I broke up nearly every  announcer unfortunate enough to work with me; as the  announcer read the Bill Marks script, he  would finish with "Lord, thank you for this new day in my life," I'd shout into the air vent, "YOU'RE WELCOME!"

    Then there was a live two-voice commercial with sound  effects on Lou Palmer's Afternoon Audition (as we  called it.) Lou and Arnold Dean were in Studio 3, one playing the announcer, the other playing an Indian (you'd never get away with that today) on a Tunxis Plantation Golf Club spot. My job was to play a continuous loop cartridge of tom-toms. I played the drum sound, faded under for Arnold to say, "What's that sound?" Lou said, "UGH!" then the two of them laughed for five minutes!
  I had to fade out the drums and go to music. They tried it about three times before they finally got through it.

   Dick Bertel was the host of his own Saturday show. His program included lots of features, including "Ellery Queen Mysteries", a syndicated minute mystery, the first part of which would end with something like "we'll get the solution to today's Ellery Queen Mystery right after this." (Insert for commercial)
   Lou Palmer was the announcer on duty every week, and would sit with Dick in the studio, where they'd both listen to the mystery. Dick would say something like, "well Lou, what do you think the solution is?"
   Lou would answer something like, "Well, Dick, I think that the rich industrialist's daughter stole the Mercedes, and shot the nephew, while he was swinging from the trapeze." Dick would laugh, Lou would do the commercial, then we'd play the closing cut which would say "The  rich industrialist's daughter stole the Mercedes, and shot the nephew, while he was swinging from the trapeze." 
   Of course, Lou had listened to the end cut beforehand, and memorized the lines. Dick, innocently, though that Lou had figured out the answer himself.

   A Bob Steele story: Nobody broke up Steele, but I did once. I was spinning records and commercials for him one day when he started telling an old story about the time he bought an ice cream cone, and while he was eating it he remembered he had to make a phone call.
   So he went to a phone booth, struggled to put the dime in and dial the number, then absent-mindedly put the ice cream cone up to his ear.
   He said "there's a word for that!." I shouted, and he heard through the glass, "STUPID."
   That wasn't the word he was thinking of, and he broke up. 

  I remember one anniversary party celebrated on a weeknight - probably a Tuesday - in the early '60's. It was held in the basement garage of Broaadcast House. The garage was decorated with lights, table-clothed tables, candles, all-in-all a festive atmosphere. SpouseS were invited - mine was there - but I was working that night; Ted Brassard was on with me. I assume all the shows were on tape. Ted and I would take turns working and partying . . . he'd come up the front elevator while I went down the back one, about every 1/2 hour.
  Needless to say, we were getting pretty well plowed.  Well, at some point I realized that we had forgotten to record the first ten minutes of the NBC show "Toscannini, the Man Behind the Legend," hosted by Ben Grauer. As you can imagine, in our stupor, this was a serious offense, even though it wasn't to be played back until Sunday.
  I took out my trusty razor blade and splicing tape, and the previous 6 or 8 shows, and like magic, saved the program. (or made a new one.) I wonder if it was good, given my thought processes after that much booze.

  I'm sure many of the alumni remember the expansion of Broadcast House in the late '6o's, where we added a library, expanded the newsroom, and, most important, expanded the fourth floor executive suite.
  The third floor men's room was being renovated, and one of the workers had left a toilet in the corridor outside Studio 1. A tempting target, to be sure. Since Brad was scheduled to do Mikeline, probably with Floyd, and since Brad always sauntered - no ran - into the studio at the last second, I removed all the chairs from Studio 4 (except for Floyd's) and schlepped the toilet in. When Brad arrived there was no place to sit but "on the can." He did the whole two hours sitting on the toilet. And, since company policy prevented any discussion of a controversial nature, he could only make oblique references to his situation!
  Even Bill Marks got a kick out of this one.

Another remembrance . . .

  Chuck Renaud was producing, and I was recording a regular feature, Sabbath Message, where a local clergyman would come in and record a sermon to be played Sunday morning. One Sunday, a minister from Manchester, Joseph Bourret, came in and read his message in the most stentorian, mellifluous tones. Chuck asked him if he had ever been an announcer; he replied that he had. A week or so later, John Stevens was born and hired, and worked for WTIC for the next ten years or so. J  Back



Main  History   Reports   Events   Museum   Personalities   Technicians   Support  Listener Memories  Lost Alumni  Audio/Video